1. | [i][t] 供认,坦白,承认(错误或罪行)to admit, especially formally or to the police, that you have done sth wrong or illegal |
After hours of questioning, the suspect confessed. 经过数小时的审问后,嫌疑犯终于招供。 | |
She confessed to the murder. 她供认犯了谋杀罪。 | |
He confessed that he had stolen the money. 他承认他偷了那笔钱。 | |
We persuaded her to confess her crime. 我们说服她坦白她的罪行。 |
2. | [i][t] 承认(自己感到羞愧或尴尬的事)to admit sth that you feel ashamed or embarrassed about |
She was reluctant to confess her ignorance. 她不愿承认她的无知。 | |
I must confess to knowing nothing about computers. 我得承认对电脑一窍不通。 | |
I confess (that) I know nothing about computers. 我承认我对电脑一窍不通。 | |
‘I know nothing about them,’ he confessed. “我对他们一无所知。”他承认道。 | |
I confess myself bewildered by their explanation. 我承认他们的解释使我感到困惑。 |
3. | [i][t] ~ (sth) (to sb) 忏悔;悔过;告罪;告解to tell God or a priest about the bad things you have done so that you can say that you are sorry and be forgiven |
4. | [t] ~ sb 聆听(某人的)忏悔(或告罪、告解)to hear sb confess their sins(= the bad things they have done) |